Last Updated on May 12, 2023 by Josh Mahan
Have you ever walked into a business or sports arena only to be stunned by a massive wall of televisions? Together, these display an image that makes the individual screens look like one larger screen. After seeing this, have you ever wondered if it was possible for your business to construct something similar?
If you have, you’re in luck! This article is designed to serve as your ultimate guide to video wall displays. Keep reading to learn about video walls, how they work, and how a normal company can go about creating one for themselves.
Related: What is Video Display Pixel Pitch? Why It Matters
What Is a Video Wall?
A video wall is essentially a connected system of different monitors. Each of these monitors is placed close together to essentially form one large screen. Then, the images or video sent to these monitors are contiguously overlapped so that the monitors function as if they were one large screen.
What Is a Video Wall Made From?
The front-facing section of a video wall is made of several different monitors. However, more components go into making a video wall work than just this. In fact, video walls are generally made of three separate parts.
- Monitors: The video wall obviously needs monitors to function. These are the displays that put forward the images and videos that the wall requires. Usually, the monitors are either LED, LCD, or some sort of projection.
- Processors: Something needs to get the images and video you want on the video wall to the video wall. This is where processors are necessary. These gather the required information and send it to the displays. Without processors, the wrong image could be displayed on a screen, and the illusion of one giant display is ruined entirely.
- Software: The final component of a video wall is the software that goes into running it. This is usually run on a computer kept out of sight from the general public. Through this software, the video wall’s owners can change what they want to be displayed, how they want it displayed, and can retool any details that the software allows.
Why Should You Use a Video Wall?
The biggest benefit of a video wall is that it provides a massive screen at a lower cost than buying one massive screen. Buying a massive screen can be entirely cost-prohibitive for a business. Meanwhile, buying several smaller screens often costs much less, and the price of screens is going down. Even when including the software and processors that go into making it work, a media wall is still cheaper than a giant screen.
Besides this, the wall itself offers plenty of benefits. These come from the fact that the business can display whatever they want on the wall.
This can be an incredible tool for communicating information. While some offices are using ultrawide screens for work, an office can use a large screen like this to provide hyper-detailed presentations that include more information than would otherwise be possible. Meanwhile, another company can use the wall to communicate tons of information to everyone passing through their lobby. Both situations make these a great workplace technology.
These can even be used in public spaces, where they can show advertisements, public service announcements, and anything else that needs to be displayed.
In addition, businesses can use the large screens for streaming content. Places like restaurants and bars can use this to show sporting events or other live events on a screen bigger than anyone has at home, which gives the venue a unique appeal. This is great for promotion, as many places create lists of the largest TV screens to watch the game. Sports stadiums often use this feature to provide an additional view of what is happening during the game.
On top of all of this, video walls can be repurposed and retooled for anything. A wall serving as a streaming source can become an advertisement with the press of a few buttons. The wall can even accommodate more TVs to make it bigger as the demands change.
Finally, video walls are easy to use. Smaller businesses can operate them without continuous help from a tech worker. So, any business can theoretically take advantage of what video walls have to offer.
Want to create a video wall display for your business but are overwhelmed by the technology behind it? Get in touch with us, and let us find the solution you need!
How Much Do Video Walls Cost?
The cost of a video wall varies greatly depending on the factors surrounding it. On the lower end, a system can cost as low as a few thousand dollars. However, larger systems can end up costing tens of thousands or, for massive systems, hundreds of thousands of dollars.
This depends on factors that include:
- Size: The size of the video wall is one of the biggest factors influencing the cost. A massive wall used in a giant stadium will cost several times more than a smaller wall used in a sports bar.
- Quality: A higher-quality screen that captures as much detail as possible is expensive. Meanwhile, a lower-quality screen will be cheaper. This all comes from the potential pixel density the screen provides.
- Shape: A flat-screen is generally the least expensive type of video wall. However, curved screens and 3D screens also exist. Going with one of these options will drive up the price significantly.
- Location: The actual screen may be more expensive to install, depending on the location. Installing it indoors in a traditional business will be relatively inexpensive. However, creating a trendy outdoor media wall that is constantly exposed to the elements and needs to be attached to the outside of a building will require higher installation costs.
Despite cost differences, the general cost of a video wall comes down to around $2,000 per 500 x 500 mm panel.
Related: Understanding Audiovisual Technology: Advances in AV
How Can You Make a Video Wall?
For a business to make its own video wall, they need to start by deciding exactly what they want. They should know how many screens they want, what size the final display will be, where it will be located, and what kind of control they need over it.
Once these decisions have been made, they can start shopping for components. Once these are purchased, they can work with a company to install the video wall or install it themselves. Most companies that install video walls will also help shop for the components, meaning that these last two steps can be done at the same time.
Curious about what other technologies you could be incorporating in your business? Learn more about our showroom, where you can see state-of-the-art designs in person!
Video Walls For Businesses
A video wall can provide a massive change for your business. It can alter how you convey information, provide a unique attraction that brings in new customers, or allow you to advertise in an entirely new way. Understanding this and knowing how to get started will allow you to make your company’s video wall dreams into reality.